Since we launched the Vid.ly private beta two months ago, more than ten thousand Vid.ly URLs have been generated and shared. The market response has been truly overwhelming. Your feedback, bug reporting and feature requests have been extremely valuable and we thank you.
Over the past couple of months, we have hunkered down to focus on adding support for more devices, fixing reported bugs and generally improving overall platform stability and performance. With last week’s software release including all of these changes, we opened up the floodgates to move from private to public beta.
The biggest change we’ve made is to the embed code architecture. We experimented with <video> and with <script> tags but settled with the good ‘ol <iframe> tag as it works consistently with the most browsers and devices. Here’s an example of the new embed code:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" name="vidly-frame" src="http://s.vid.ly/embeded.html?link=5u4h3e&width=640&height=360&autoplay=false"><a target='_blank' href='http://vid.ly/5u4h3e'><img src='http://cf.cdn.vid.ly/5u4h3e/poster.jpg' /></a></iframe>
- Improved accuracy of messaging in the terminal status window
- Compatibility with new browsers Internet Explorer 9 and FireFox 4
- Added a new Flash player to add video playback support for Sony's PS3
- Added a new testing tool to collect mobile device data and submit feedback.
- New support for fullscreen video playback on Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera
- Created a uniform player look and feel for all embedded players
- Support embed code in popular blog services: wordpress, blogspot and tumblr
- Fixed embed problems with various devices (HTC Touch Pro, iOS(4.3), BB 9800, Palm Pre, HTC Desire HD, BB 9800 Tourch, BB 9630 Tour)
- Added support for various devices (BB Bold 9700, BB Curve 9330, Palm Pre)
- Optimized video sizes for most popular user screen resolution
- Synchronized video size and quality on various browsers Added ability to have 2 or more embeds on the page
- Now serving videos directly from Amazon CloudFront CDN
- Added new mobile device feedback page
The next big Vid.ly milestone will be the launch of Vid.ly Pro in about six weeks. We’ll be launching a bunch of value-added features at that time including an API so you can begin building Vid.ly into your mobile and web applications.
To stay on top of the latest and greatest Vid.ly updates, please follow our new Twitter handle @vidlyURL.
-- Team Vid.ly